While most people believe that electrical fires are usually because of the electrical setup itself, there is a human error that is often to blame as well. It could easily be down to electrical equipment that is left on and forgotten about and needs to be switched off as easily as it could be the fault of improper wiring of home electrical circuits. Since electricity and electrical equipment is the major cause of accidental fires (with 9 out of 10 of those fires caused by electrical products) it highlights the importance of how dangerous electricity can be. Just because it is used every day does not mean that we should take it nor its safety for granted. Therefore, with respect treated towards electrical products and equipment, there are some steps you can follow to ensure this does not become an issue for you.
Calling electricians such as Merton Electricians to check the conditioning of your wiring can be very important to prevent such fires. This should be done when moving into a new home or property, and then again after every 8 years at the very least, with no more than 12 years apart. If you are renting, then you must ask your landlord to perform such a condition check, since they are legally responsible.
Checking your plug sockets regularly while also turning off any electrical products or equipment that you are not using will go a long way into preventing accidental electrical fires. If any plug sockets in your property feel at all hot, or there are burn marks surrounding the pluck sockets or areas, then you must request for a professional electrician to perform a check. While turning off electrical products or equipment, it wouldn’t hurt to check to see if there are any of these issues in your plug sockets. Fires can start very easily at night while you are asleep, and it would be very difficult for you to react.
When using handheld electrical equipment, you must always be careful. Certain electrical products and equipment can get very hot after using them and must always be turned off when you have finished with them. Hair straighteners, hair dryers or even curlers can get hot very quickly, and when coming into contact with any flammable materials such as curtains or even types of carpet, they can catch fire easily and quickly. Always ensure to turn off such equipment and keep away from flammable objects.
Checking the cabling of any products or equipment is also something that should be done regularly. Products such as kettles can have a frayed cable, whether from wear and tear or other means. A loose plug is also something that should be kept an eye on, and if you notice any of these signs then do not plug them into a socket. With objects such as kettles, water coming into contact with an opened cable is asking for trouble.
Never exceed the wattage of any fixtures in your property, such as a light fitting or lampshade. If the wattage of a light bulb is higher than what the fixture itself can handle, then you are inviting an electrical issue into your property.
Never overload any of your plug sockets or even adaptors with high electrical current products such as electrical heaters or irons, and always ensure that these items are not near curtains or flammable furniture. Always ensure that items such as electrical heaters are not being covered by dry clothes as well, since dry materials on clothing catch fire surprisingly easily.
There are more things to consider, but these are the most basic things to follow and avoid to preventing electrical fires in your property. With the necessary equipment such as a fire and smoke alarm in your house, you are half as likely to have a fatal accident, since it gives you enough time through making you aware that there is an issue. These alarms are very tidy, and cost no more than £15. They are also very easy to fit, and there are services that you can request to install these for you. Since there are 13,000 house fires started each year just in the kitchen alone, ensuring all rooms are covered is also a smart prevention step.